Life Needs A Hefty Bag

Something that will hold everything, expand beyond comprehension, and still not split at the seams.

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Murphy's Week

Yes, this was one of those weeks where if I could have just slept through it, I probably would have. Oh. My. GOSH!! It started out with my mom, last Sunday, asking me what we were doing for Thanksgiving. I told her I wasn't sure yet as I STILL hadn't heard from Trey & Talin's father, who lives in North Carolina and is court-ordered to have visitation with them for the holiday this year, and I'd called him 3-1/2 weeks prior to my mom asking. So I told her I imagined we'd probably be in Oshkosh if we were traveling for my kids to see their father, otherwise I wasn't sure. She informed me then that her parents, my grandparents, had really aged a lot in the last six months, and that it wasn't that they didn't want us (my family) there, but maybe it would be best if the little kids weren't there to upset the older folks. Okay, I understand the logic, but you can't tell me that anyone with half a heart wouldn't be just a little bit offended. So fine, I'm uninvited to one Thanksgiving...makes my decision much, MUCH easier...either go to my mother-in-law's house or have a meal here. The way things are going, it's looking like my ex isn't going to call, and at this point he can't realistically expect me to throw together a trip like this in less than 48 hours...I mean traveling from NW Wisconsin to NW Indiana takes time to put together, organize, make arrangements for, especially with a little guy here at home and the man of the house works nights and so will likely be catching up on sleep. Try finding daycare mid-week last minute during a holiday week. Not so easy!! Again, anyone with half a brain would have that one figured out by now, but I guess that just points out the obvious now, doesn't it?

Speaking of daycare, the person we've had watching our kids for 6-1/2 years decided early this week to take a day job out of her home, where she's had her daycare at, and so we've been spending our evenings this week interviewing other daycare providers in the area. We found a girl probably close to my age that also does in-home daycare with an opening, and Derrick took to her like a fish to water, so we've been very pleased with his easy adjustment to this change thus far. Our former sitter has practically become a member of our family, so it'll be hard to let her go, but easier in that we're happy she'll be using her double major college degrees to further herself and do something she enjoys. Best wishes to her!!

Yesterday, Saturday, was Trey's first swim meet. It was SO exciting to be a swim parent!! It was always fun and exciting and nerve-racking to be a swimmer...but what a dynamic shift to be on the dry side!! Trey was in four events; the medley relay in which he swam back stroke, 50 free, 50 back and in the 200 free relay, where he was the third swimmer in a relay of 4. If any of you are lost on this, lemme know and I'll post a blog explaining more. His best event was his 50 back, where he won his heat and received a ribbon. I don't know who was prouder, him or me!! Probably him LOL ;) He did a great job with sportsmanship and conducted himself very well. My ex's mom, her husband and her mom also showed up and stayed for his first two events (his last two were quite a ways later, and they had another commitment), and he was thrilled that they came, and I was happy that they were there to support him. He loves swimming so far though...I can truly see him going far with this if he sticks with it!

Today was the last day of our Sunday School Service Project, the food drive we've had for the last few weeks. The top team received a $5 gift certificate to McDonald's...I mean, who doesn't love a Happy Meal, right? LOL Our pastor recognized our efforts by having us wheel a cart up the aisle during the offering and giving a prayer of thanksgiving for us, which was really awesome and I hope the kids enjoyed it as much as I did. They all did such a great job, and I made sure today to help them realize that though they were in separate teams during this, none of this would have been possible if we all hadn't worked together as a group, the end result wouldn't have been as fruitful. Now this week sometime I need to bring our donations to the local food pantries and I'm going to ask that a small thank-you note be sent to the Sunday School if possible, because I really think that would be something they'd enjoy...some positive feedback from the places we all hope they never need to visit.

Then at home Derrick decided that he was going to take a nap, so Trey, Talin and I took advantage of his nap time and played a few hands of Uno. It was a lot of fun spending time with them that wasn't interrupted by Derrick. I love that little monster...but sometimes he makes "big kid games" impossible! He wants so much to do everything Trey & Talin are doing, but isn't quite there yet. Soon enough....soon enough.

I'm off to bed. Today was a nice ending to a hectic week. Thank goodness for a short week next week! Happy Thanksgiving, safe travels and even safer hunting to all of you!!

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • At 11:21 PM , Blogger onthegomom said...

    I would have to agree with you, although I can understand your mom's logic, I would of still took it to heart. I hope it all works out for you.

    Best of luck on the new daycare, sounds like you found a good match for you and your family.

    HOORAY FOR TREY!!!!!!!!!!! That is so exciting!!

    Have a great Thanksgiving! :)

     
  • At 2:03 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    omgoodness...isn't part of the fun of the holidays watching the younger much more energetic kids running amuck? Oh, maybe just in our family. ;) I would definately be hurt, but as you said, the positive side is one less dinner to attend.

    I am in NW Indiana...I had to reread that part of your ex living there a couple times. :) Good luck with that, I can't imagine how stressful that is getting all of that cordinated. My daughter's dad lives 20 minutes away and I still get stressed about holiday sharing.

     
  • At 7:53 PM , Blogger Valarie said...

    I hope you have all of your Thanksgiving plans figured out now. Why is it that people seem to make holidays so much more stressful than they need to be?? I have seriously considered boycotting Thanksgiving this year and ordering pizza instead!!! (I won't though *sigh*)

     
  • At 1:06 PM , Blogger Liz said...

    onthegomom: Thanks for the celebration of Trey's accomplishment! Our new daycare is working out wonderfully...thanks! My mom is my mom...I've gotten accustomed to her...um...insensitivity towards me especially.

    Stacie: I always thought the "older folk" always liked seeing the kids running around, reminding them of happier days and taking their minds off their aches and pains briefly, but what do I know? LOL Wow...you live in NW Indiana? We meet in Lowel, Indiana...are you familiar with that town?

    Valarie: Thanks for listening! I have no idea why families see it as their obligation to make things more difficult than they can be. But, in our case I'm choosing to make it a positive and just crossing one more "celebration" off our very, very long "to visit" list during the holidays. Guess we'll see how things go!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
Put a Pin on the Map View my Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com