Life Needs A Hefty Bag

Something that will hold everything, expand beyond comprehension, and still not split at the seams.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Halloween Our Style!

Sorry I've been gone a few days from here...just been KAH-RAY-ZEE hectic around here trying to get everything done and throw Halloween into the mix on top of it! LOL
Monday we carved pumpkins, as promised! And I have pics to prove it!! Now, for some people pumpkin carving is a busy activity, and everyone is working hard at creating their masterpiece. For some reason, pumpkin carving at our house usually ends up looking something like this:

And the night isn't complete without the display of evacuating the Halloween delicasy "punkin brains..." First Trey demonstrated his mastery of this macabre ritual:

Then Talin took a scoop at it:

And not to be outdone, Derrick gave it his best shot, but I think he missed the mark a bit ;o)

So he decided to take a stab at it instead and really make a dent in things! (Not to worry, it's a butter knife, not a carving knife!)


The final products of our scooping, scraping, sketching and stabbing turned out to be honest to goodness vegetarian nightmares...I'm sure they would all have preferred winding up pie instead!
Trey's jack-o-lantern:
Talin's jack-o-lantern:
Derrick's jack-o-lantern:


After letting them sit outside and dry out for a day, the BIG day was finally here! There was a parade at the kids' school where they all paraded through the gym in costume for parents to admire and snap pictures at. Then they rode the bus home, we slapped something on a plate and into the microwave before the true artistry began....the painting of the faces! Talin wanted his face red with white lips. I was going goth. Derrick was going as Tigger. Trey saved me from more ovious inability to be aristic by wearing a mask. YAY! So while the kids were eating I started to get into costume. Believe it or not, Bubba did my hair! It took an entire can of black hair color spray to get my hair to look even remotely black!
Talin was first done eating, so I painted his face. Trey was next, so we helped him into his costume. Derrick decided he was going to save his appetite for the road...which didn't go over as well as he'd hoped! Since he was going to be Tigger, I thought it'd be cute for him to have a pink nose, an orange face, and some black stripes. He had seen Talin getting his face done and wanted the same thing done to him, so he had no problem sitting through the orange face phase, but started getting restless with the pink nose. After about 16 swipes to paint his 2 inch nose pink, it was obvious that stripes were not in the stars this year for our little Tiggy. So, he looks like he's part oompa-loompa. Or was in a fight with a bag of Cheetos. And lost. But I was happy with the end result, and the kids were happy with their mountain of processed carbohydrates that they'll probably try to eat in world-record breaking time LOL So, to close today's blog, I'll post a pic that Bub took of us before we headed out to collect the evidence of the beginning of "food season," the first major food holiday of the trio; Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Guess dessert first has always been a great idea! Have a great one!!


Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • At 9:30 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Good picture. I almost missed the red face blended in with Tiggy. Nice punkins too. :)

     
  • At 4:13 PM , Blogger Valarie said...

    You all look great. That's awesome that you dress up too. I wish I could have, but I think we would have missed trick-or-treat entirely if I had taken the time to try to get myself ready as well as my 4 (and I dressed my niece too!). I was happy I got a shower yesterday!!

     
  • At 9:50 AM , Blogger Liz said...

    Anonymous: Thanks! I guess I didn't realize (until you said something!) that the red blended in so well LOL

    Valarie: Thanks! Yeah, I really like being someone other than me one day a year LOL Sounds like you had quite trick-or-treating adventure, too! :o)

     
  • At 4:58 PM , Blogger onthegomom said...

    Love the family pic! That is great you dress up too. I missed trick or treating this year, I was sick :( The pumpkins look great too.

    http://momoftheyear-not.blogspot.com/

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
Put a Pin on the Map View my Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com